The Graveyard

The Graveyard
The final resting place for old Loco's and shunts

Friday 27 January 2012

The First Step

Well if this isn't a step into the unknown for me, then I have no idea what is.

  I guess now is as good a time as any to give an insight into who I am, what this blog is about and what I hope to achieve from it.

   My name is Nick (deduct 10 points if you didn't guess that one) Born in the greatest country in the world, New Zealand ( Yes I know it's got its faults and doesn't have what other countries can offer, but the feeling I get from being here can't be found or bought anywhere else).

   During schooling I realised ( quite late!!) that I was always better at hands on stuff, you know, learning by getting involved physically, Doing, rather than sitting and reading. The result of this lead me to get into my current line of work as a Boat builder/ painter. I've been doing this line of work for nearly 10 years ( exactly 10 very soon) and still feel like the eager 18 year old who walked into the factory all those years ago when I deal with the daily grind of the work. Admittedly I did have a " Rip, Shit, and Bust" way of doing things back then, and on occasions still do, But I Refined this over time.

   What has never disappeared though, Is an urge to make stuff from other things, or to modify things into something better, or even just to restore someones neglected item they flogged off to make a bit of coin.
   This is where the blog comes in. I've thought about it for a while now, actually, ever since my friend Derrek started a blog of a Musical Elephant he was making. I like to do projects every so often, They stop me from being bored and depressed, Two symptoms I run into quite a bit, and also its just fun to make stuff!
  Unfortunately, there has been a couple of sweet as projects I've finished before I started this blog, I'll post some pictures of the final product, but I don't have any pictures to show the steps or progress I had made on them getting the final result ( It may also be a good time to point out that I have only just started using my camera more often too. I tend to enjoy the moment rather than enjoy a photo of the moment afterwards)
   So, from all this ranting and raving above, This blog is for me to share the projects I find myself doing, Help drag me into the modern world of the internet era, help me finding my way around a computer ( you have no idea how long this has taken to write so far!! HA!) To stave off boredom by doing something new, exciting (hopefully)and out of my comfort zone.
   Most of all, I guess its just to have fun, After all the saying is " Life's too short"

  So, Hopefully if you've sat and read all of this, you'd like to join me on this little journey?, I've no idea where we'll end up, what we'll learn or even if some of the stuff we do will be successful,

   You just never know.

 Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment